Vanilla Panna Cotta recipe
Just desserts: Recipes for The Sunday Telegraph by Matt Moran, Aria Restaurant. Vanilla Panna Cotta Picture: Brianne Makin
Have a crack at this dessert favourite using vanilla beans.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
360g natural yoghurt
85g castor sugar
1 vanilla bean, split
12g gold leaf gelatine
Place the milk and sugar into a saucepan.
2. Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the saucepan then add the vanilla bean. Over a low heat, slowly warm the milk until hot but do not allow it to come to the boil. Just prior to boiling, remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
3. Place the gelatine leaves in cold water to soften.
4. After the milk has infused for 30 minutes, return it to the heat. Warm the milk until just prior to boiling then remove from the heat. Remove the softened gelatine from the cold water and squeeze out any residual liquid.
5. Add the gelatine to the warmed milk then stir to dissolve. Stir in the yoghurt until combined, then strain.
6. Pour approximately 150ml into 6 moulds (approximately 7.5cm in diameter and 5.5cm high) then place into the refrigerator to set overnight.
7. To serve, dip each panna cotta mould into a bowl of hot water to help loosen the panna cotta then carefully invert onto a serving plate. Serve with fresh or poached fruit (we have used strawberries, dates and oranges on this occasion).
Just desserts: Recipes for The Sunday Telegraph by Matt Moran