Pear Tarte Tartin Recipe
4 pears – peeled and de-cored, cut into halves
2 star anise
2 vanilla pods – seeds only
Zest of one lemon
4oz caster sugar
5floz double cream
½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 400f / Gas Mark 6
- Put all the pears along with 1oz of sugar, all the lemon zest and vanilla seeds into a pan.
- Fill the pan with water so that the pears are just covered.
- Simmer gently for 15 mins until the pears are just tender. Drain the water and pat the pears dry.
- Heat the remaining 3oz of sugar in a 9 ½ oven proof frying pan over a low heat and until the mixture has caramalised.
- Add the butter, cream, star anise and cinnamon.
- Continue to heat gently until smooth. Disregard the star anise.
- Place the pears in the caramel so they are the “cut side” up.
- Roll out the pastry so it is a ¼ inch thick and is an inch bigger than the pan and tuck into the inside of the pan
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the pastry is golden brown and has risen.
- Cool for 5-10 mins.
- Add a few seeds of vanilla to the clotted cream.
- Finally, garnish with a vanilla pod and a star anise.